Mary Kom is an Indian boxer who has the distinction of being a five-time World Amateur Boxing champion. She is a five-time World Amateur Boxing champion, and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the six world championships. She is the only Indian woman boxer to have qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics, competing in the flyweight (51 kg) category and winning the bronze medal. She has also been ranked as No. 4 AIBA World Women’s Ranking Flyweight category. She became the first Indian woman boxer to get a Gold Medal in the Asian Games in 2014 in Incheon, South Korea. On 26 April 2016, she was nominated by the President of India as a member of the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament.
Real Name : Chungneijang Mary Kom Hmangte
Nickname : Mary Kom, Magnificent Mary
Profession : Indian boxer
Date of Birth : 1 March 1983
Age (as in 2017) : 34 Years
Birth Place : Kangathei, Manipur, India
Zodiac sign : Pisces
Nationality : Indian
Hometown : Kangathei, Manipur, India
School : Loktak Christian Model High School at Moirang
St. Xavier Catholic School, Moirang
Education Qualifications : Graduate
Religion : Hindu
Hobbies : Travelling
Father- Mangte Tonpa Kom
Mother- Mangte Akham Kom
Physical Stats & More
Height : 5′ 2″
Weight : 51 Kg
Body measurement: 33-24-34
Eye Colour : Black
Hair Colour : Black
Coach/Mentor: Gopal Devang, M. Narjit Singh, Charles Atkinson, Rongmei Josiah.
Records (main ones)
• Her first career win came in 2000 when she won the Best Boxer Award at the First State Level Invitation at the women’s boxing championship in Manipur.
• In 2008, she participated at the Asian Women’s Boxing Championship in India where she won a silver medal.
• In Kazakhstan Mary won the gold medal at the Asian Women’s Boxing Championship in 2010.
• In 2012, women’s boxing featured as an Olympic sport in the Summer Olympics in London for the first time. Mary did succeed in securing a place at the events and won a bronze medal.
• In 2014 Asian Games, held in Incheon, South Korea, she won a Gold Medal in Flyweight category.
Boys, Affairs and More
Marital Status : Married
Affairs/Boyfriend: Not known
Husband : Karung Onkholer Kom
Net Worth: ₹3.32 crore
Some lesser known facts about Mary Kom
- Mary Kom is a high school dropout though she later on finished her schooling through alternative ways and even completed her graduation.
- Her biggest inspiration was Dingko Singh who won the gold medal in boxing in 1998 Asian Games.
- As a young girl she faced vehement opposition from her parents regarding her choice of a career as a boxer.
- She is the only Indian female boxer to qualify for, and win a medal in the Olympics.
- Mary is the only female boxer to win a medal in six consecutive world championships.
- She is the first Indian woman boxer to win a gold medal in the Asian Games.
- She, along with Sanjay and Harshit Jain, bore the Queen’s Baton in the opening ceremony run in the stadium for the 2010 Commonwealth Games of Delhi.
- Mary Kom is the first amateur athlete to win the Padma Bhushan.
- She is the first amateur to surpass several professional athletes in India in earnings, endorsements and awards.
- She is a supporter of animal rights, and has been associated with animal rights organization, PETA India.
Updated on: 17 April 2017