On the occasion of mother’s day, millions of kids are going to tell their mother how much they love them, even though they might not express it. But I, like several daughters, am going to thank my mother. I’m going to thank her for making me everything I am, I’m going to thank her for helping me break the stereotypes and I’m going to thank her for teaching me how to be a good mother, by example.
It’s because of her, that I know what I’m going to teach my daughter and it’s a lesson I’ve carried with myself, just like every other daughter.
1. Dream as big as you can because I know, together, we’ll make them come true.
2. Laugh with no inhibitions, because even when you snort, I know it’s genuine.
3. If you fall down and hurt yourself, don’t be afraid to cry, but stand up and dust yourself off, because strong women help themselves
4. Ask me as many questions as you want, because I never want your curiosity to dim.
5. If someone tells you, ‘You’re a good runner for a girl’, just remember there will be a day when you’ll outrun them, my baby girl.
6. I won’t force you to go to the temple, instead I’ll let you decide whether you belong in a temple,mosque, church or monastery.
7. Don’t ever keep out of the kitchen, or a place of worship when you’ve got your periods because it doesn’t make you untouchable, it makes you a woman.
8. Don’t be afraid of tanning because of the society’s obsession with fairness.
9. Don’t starve yourself to look beautiful, because you’re already the most beautiful person I know.
10. You don’t need to be shy or petit in front of a boy to be mannered, you only have to be kind to people.
11. People will betray you. So move ahead and learn from it.
12. No one in the world is supposed to make you happy. You are responsible for your own happiness.
13. When you fall in love, do it whole-heartedly, don’t hold back.
14. And when your heartbreaks, learn from it. Learn to be stronger, to know that it’s not the end of the world.
15. Don’t let other people define your boundaries, not me or society. I’ve taught you well enough for you to define your own principles.
16. Don’t give anyone the power to make you feel inferior, because you’ll get where you aim to go. Even though it might take a while.
17. Accept people for who they are but never apologize for who you are.
18. Be the person who breaks stereotypes, not the person who fits into them.
19. When things go wrong, be resilient not remorseful.
20. Always make your own choices and live free.
21. Build your own empire, because you’re too amazing to be ordinary.
22. Make sure to take out some time for yourself.
23. Don’t follow the herd, go with your own instinct.
24. Friends might pass you by, relationships might not work out, but I’ll always be there for you no matter what.
25. Always believe in yourself. You don’t need anyone’s approval.
26. Don’t give up on the people you love, because they won’t ever give up on you.
27. One day you will conquer your fears because you’re stronger than your fears.
28. No matter how far you go, always remember where you started.
29. Always strive to be a better person, because you are the ‘good in the world’.