Akshay Kumar is a famous actor in Indian cinema. He is also a former martial artist and producer, who has produced more than 10 films. He has made his acting debut with 1991 Bollywood movie Saugandh. His second film ‘Khiladi’ proved to be a hit at the box-office. Till now he has appeared in 8 films which have the term ‘khiladi’ in the title, known as ‘Khiladi Series’. In 2008, Akshay made his television debut as the host of TV show Fear Factor – Khatron Ke Khiladi. In 2009, he has established ‘Hari Om Entertainment’ production company. Akshay Kumar has won the Best Actor award for Rustom at the 64th National Film Awards.
Real Name: Rajiv Hari Om Bhatia
Nickname: Akki, Raju, Mac and Khiladi Kumar
Profession: Actor and Producer
Date of Birth: 9 September 1967
Age (as in 2017): 49 Years
Birth Place: Amritsar, Punjab, India
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Hometown: He used to live in Chandni Chowk, Delhi but he is now settled in Mumbai
School: Don Bosco High School, Mirik, Darjeeling
College: Guru Nanak Khalsa College (King’s Circle), Mumbai
Educational Qualifications: Not Known
Father- Late Hari Om Bhatia
Mother- Aruna Bhatia
Sister- Alka Bhatia
Hobbies: Collecting posters of old Bollywood movies, cooking, martial arts, playing volleyball and cricket
Physical Stats & More
Height: 5’ 11”
Weight: 80 kg
– Chest: 42 Inches
– Waist: 34 Inches
– Biceps: 16 Inches
Eye Color: Dark Brown
Hair Color: Black
Film Debut: Saugandh (1991)
Favourite Food: Thai green chicken curry, miso soup, sushi, sashimi, chocolate fudge
Favourite Actor: Ranveer Singh and Kamal Hassan
Favourite Actress: Sridevi
Favourite Film: Life is Beautiful
Favourite Color: Blue
Favourite Sport: Cricket, Martial Arts, Sailing
Favourite Destination: Goa and Canada
Girls, Affairs and More
Marital Status: Married on 17 January 2001
Affairs/Girlfriends: Pooja Batra (Actress)
Raveena Tandon (Actress)
Shilpa Shetty (Actress)
Twinkle Khanna (Actress)
Wife/Spouse: Twinkle Khanna (Actress, 2001-present)
Children: Daughter- Nitara
Salary: 25 Crores/film (INR)
Net Worth: $150 million
Akshay Kumar is all set to be back on television as the judge of The Great Indian Laughter Challenge. He shared a video on his Twitter page and revealed that he will be a part of the comedy show.
Akshay Kumar will be seen in 2.0 aka Enthiran 2/Robot 2, a sci-fi film directed by Shankar alongwith Rajnikanth and Amy Jackson. Akshay plays scientist Richard who, after an experiment goes wrong, turns crazy and loses his appearance. It will be released on 25 January 2018.
He will also be seen opposite Bhumi Pednekar in the film ‘Toilet: Ek Prem Katha’. The film is a social commentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Swacch Bharat Abhiyaan. It will release on August 11, 2017. Akshay will be seen in the upcoming film ‘Gold’ which is being directed by Reema Kagti and produced by Ritesh Sidhwani, Farhan Akhtar.
Some Lesser Known Facts about Akshay Kumar
- Since his childhood, he was inclined towards acting and fitness.
- His father was very supportive and sent him to Bangkok for martial arts training provided he scores 1st class in his board exams. Akshay secured 63 percent and had a ticket to Bangkok; there his uncle got him work as a waiter in the Metro Guest House where his initial salary was Rs 1,500. And, alongside that he also used to cook and learn Martial arts.
- He did all kinds of odd jobs in India as well before joining the Bollywood film industry. He even worked as a peon for a travel organization for around 1½ years in Kolkata.
- On suggestion of his friend, he tried his luck in modelling, and after getting success there, he changed his name from Rajeev Om Bhatia to Akshay Kumar as he saw a movie which the actor opposite to his favourite actress was named Akshay.
- In the early 90s, Rajesh Khanna made a film called Jai Shiv Shankar in which he required a new face and when Akshay came to know about it, he went to Rajesh Khanna’s office for the audition and waited there for around 4 hours, and the worse thing was that he wasn’t able to meet him.
- His Bollywood debut was a 7-second appearance as a Karate instructor in the film Aaj (1987).
- He came to Mumbai for the first time, he had his portfolio shoot at the same Juhu bungalow which he owns now.
- Although his first released movie was Saughand, he initially signed Deedar. Akshay was the actual choice for Phool Aur Kaante but as he had given dates for Deedar, Phool Aur Kaante goes off to Ajay Devgan.
- He played the role of Vijay 8 times and Raj 7 times during his 3 decade of acting career.
- He is popularly known as the Khiladi Kumar of Bollywood as he has worked in 8 films with the title Khiladi in it: Khiladi, Main Khiladi Tu Anari, Sabse Bada Khiladi, Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi, International Khiladi, Mr and Mrs Khiladi, Khiladi 420 and Khiladi 786.
- He played the role of a police cop in 15 films.
- He is counted among one of the most fittest and disciplined actors in Bollywood as he is very punctual, gets up at 4:30 am in the morning, does 1 hour swimming. 1 hour Martial arts, 1 hour meditation, yoga and stretching exercises and takes his dinner at 7 pm.
- He almost killed himself during the shooting of his film Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi (1996) as he almost broke his neck by back lifting 350-pound weighing Brain Lee who played the role of WWE wrestler Undertaker in his film.
- He once sung a Punjabi devotional song Nirgun Raakh Liya and donated its profit to the victims of the 7/11 (2006) train bombing victims of Mumbai.
- Year 2007 was his golden year as he gave 4 super-hits that year: Namastey London, Welcome, Bhool Bhulaiyaa and Hey Babyy.
- In 2008, The University of Windsor honoured him with the Honorary Doctorate of Law for his outstanding acting career.
- He was also honored with the prestigious Padma Shri Award and the Rajiv Gandhi Award by the Government of India.
- Actor like Ajay Devgan and John Abraham are among his close friends.
- In 2008, he was named as the Sexiest Man Alive by People magazine, India.
- He has tattooed his son Aarav’s name on his back.