Anurag Kashyap is an Indian film director, writer and producer, known for his work in Hindi cinema. He has won many awards for his contribution in the field of direction. As a screenwriter, he wrote the scripts for the Filmfare Award-winning movie Satya (1998) and the Academy Award-nominated Canadian film Water (2005). He began his film production company, Anurag Kashyap Films Pvt. Ltd. in 2009. He was seen in AR Murugadoss’s movie Akira.
Real Name : Anurag Singh Kashyap
Nickname : Kashyap
Profession : Director, Producer, Screenwriter, Film editor
Date of Birth : 10 September 1972
Age (as in 2017) : 44 Years
Birth Place : Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
Zodiac sign : Virgo
Nationality : Indian
Hometown : Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
School : Green School, Dehradun and, age eight onwards, at the Scindia School in Gwalior
College : Hansraj College, New Delhi
Educational Qualification: Bachelor of Science
Religion : Atheist
Hobbies: Writing, Swimming
Father : Prakash Singh
Brother : Abhinav Kashyap
Sister : Anubhuti Kashyap
Directional Debut Film : Paanch (2000)
Physical Stats & More
Height : 5’ 9”
Weight : 83 kg
Eye Color : Black
Hair Color : Black
Girls, Affairs and More
Marital Status : Married
Affairs/Girlfriends : Not Known
Wife : Aarti Bajaj (m. 2003-09), Kalki Koechlin (m. 2011-13)
Daughter– Aaliya Kashyap
Net Worth: $110 Million
Filmfare Critics Award for Best Movie
Filmfare Award for Best Screenplay
Filmfare Award for Best Story
Zee Cine Award – Critics Choice Best Film
IIFA Award for Best Dialogue
Filmfare Award for Best Dialogue
Apsara Award for Best Dialogue.
Black Friday (2007)
No Smoking (2007)
Return of Hanuman (2007)
Mumbai Cutting (2010)
That Girl in Yellow Boots (2011)
Gangs of Wasseypur (2012)
Bombay Talkies (2013)
Bombay Velvet (2015)
Raman Raghav 2.0 (2016)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Anurag Kashyap
- In his school days, Kashyap had great affections with the films but after schools he changed his mind and wanted to become a scientist and thus took admission at Hans Raj College, University of Delhi in a Zoology course and during his college days he again diverted towards films.
- After completing graduation in 1993, he joined a street theater group “Jana Natya Manch”.
He attended International Film Festival of India and saw 55 films in just 10 days and the film which inspired him the most was Vittorio De Sica’s Bicycle Thieves.
- After De Sica’s effect, he left home with 5000 rs in pocket and arrived Mumbai in 1993 to pursue his dream.
- During his initial days in Mumbai, he spent months on street and benches.
- His first job in Mumbai was at Prithvi Theatre, however, his first play was incomplete due to the director’s death.
- The turning point of his life was when Manoj Bajpayee introduced him to Ram Gopal Varma to write a film that eventually turned to be the movie Satya which later proved to be a huge success at the Box-office.
- His first directorial debut film “Paanch” hasn’t released yet.
- He founded his own film production company in 2009, “Anurag Kashyap Films Pvt. Ltd. (AKFPL).
- His is known for his unique film-making style in which he pursues extensive research on each characters and extensively uses light and colour effects.
- Along-with directing and producing films, he also acted in a few films like Shagird, Black Friday, Happy New Year, No Smoking, Bhoothnath Returns and others.
- In 2013, French Government awarded him with the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters).
- He is known for guerrilla-film-making technique in which the camera is hidden and actors are given chance to improvise.
- British director was inspired by Kashyap’s works and copied the film-making style of Kashyap in some of the scenes of his Oscar awarded movie “Slumdog Millionaire”.
Updated On: 6 May 2017