This delicious fruit pie makes the most of autumnal flavours and will happily and generously feed a crowd.
At a glance
- Cuisine British
- Recipe Type Dessert
- Difficulty Easy
- Preparation time 10 mins
- Cooking time 35 mins
- Serves 10 people
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 large cooking apples, cored and cut into slices
- 5 plums, stoned and cut into slices
- 200 g (7.1oz) honey
- 300 ml (10.6fl oz) water
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half
- 1 sheet of ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4.
- In an ovenproof frying pan, fry the apples and plums in the butter over a medium heat. Add in the honey, water, cinnamon and vanilla and turn down to a simmer. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until thick and sticky. Allow to cool fully.
- Cut strips of pastry and arrange over the pan in a lattice style, alternating under and over to create a woven effect. Decorate with leaf shaped pastry around the edge.
- Brush with egg yolk and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.