Oily hair is no fun, but I have 8 tips for you on how to treat oily hair that will make it seem like a breeze. Treating oily hair is simply a matter of learning what types of ingredients are best for your hair, and which ones to avoid. A proper pH balance of the scalp is needed to achieve hair that is not oily, and also needed for those who have dry hair issues.
Oil secretion is good for the hair as it maintains the roots well but nothing in excess is ever good, and the proof of it lies in the oily hair type. Moreover, realizing how much this bothers the women of today, all the multinational companies rushed to produce many products dedicated to fighting off the excess oil. How many of them work nobody can tell.
Symptoms Of Oily Hair
The common symptoms of oily hair include
• Excess sebum production which makes the hair heavy, weak and difficult to manage.
• Formation of greasy dandruff which sticks to the sebum forming a layer on the scalp.
• Itchiness of the scalp
• Hair loss or progressive thinning of hair
So, it is necessary to avoid the proliferation of sebum into scalp to prevent the damages to the hair and scalp due to the growth of bacteria and fungi. The excessive sebum blocks the hair follicle and disturbs the blood circulation, resulting in weak hair.
The following are the home remedies that you can try out to get effective results for oily hair.
What if we promised you a few tips that will definitely result in less oil and more bounce? Along with the added advantage of being pocket-friendly? Here are a few remedies for oily hair at home!
1. Shampoo Everyday
If you are having oily hair, then the best way to get rid of excess oil in your hair is to shampoo your hair everyday. This will help to keep your hair free from oil and make it clean and look beautiful.
• It is ideal for you to rinse your hair thoroughly every time you shampoo so that no residue is left behind or else your hair can easily attract more oil and dirt.
• Go for shampoos that are specifically designed for oily hair. Normal hair needs a shampoo that will have a pH between 4.5 and 6.7. But, oily hair would need a shampoo that is beyond this pH range.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
The vitamins, minerals and enzymes present in aloe vera are very helpful for getting rid of oily hair. Aloe vera helps detoxify the scalp of impurities and control oil secretion, while also nourishing your hair roots. Plus, the gentle and soothing nature of aloe vera will keep your hair healthy.
- Mix one teaspoon of aloe vera gel and one tablespoon of lemon juice in one cup of any mild shampoo.
- Wash your hair and allow the shampoo to remain on your hair for a few minutes before rinsing it off.
- Use this as a homemade shampoo whenever you shampoo your hair to control oiliness.
3. Egg Yolk
Egg yolk is found to be a good product that you can use on your hair as it helps to condition your hair and to remove excess oils. It is an age old home remedy to treat excess oil in the hair.
• Take 2 egg yolks and beat it well. In this egg yolk mixture add a few drops of lemon juice and mix well once again.
• Now apply this mixture on your wet hair and leave it there for five minutes.
• Rinse it off thoroughly so that no residue is left behind.
• Use this egg yolk mixture on your hair two to three times a week to get rid of oily hair.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
The benefits of apple cider vinegar for improving skin tone and lightening sun tan is well known but it also helps in improving the texture and quality of hair, by removing chemical residue and closing the open cuticles so that it appears smooth, lustrous and healthy. It reduces oiliness from hair and scalp and makes it soft and silky.
• Add two to three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in a mug of water and mix it well.
• Rinse your oily hair with this mixture and wash it off after a few minutes.
• Repeat this process at least three times a week to get rid of oily hair problems.
5. Instant Remedy
If you do not have the time to go for a wet shampoo bath as you are running out of time, you can try a dry shampoo process. It is nothing but applying some talc on your scalp. You need to dust it off immediately.
• The talc that you apply on our scalp will prevent the oil that your body prepares to react on your hair. Hence, your hair will not look oily.
• You can also use corn starch instead of talcum powder on your hair.
• Make sure that you wash off your hair once you return back.
• You can also use some baby powder on your scalp. Sprinkle it on your scalp and leave it to rest for five minutes. Then you comb your hair well. The powder will effectively soak all the excess oils.
6. Witch Hazel Oil
Witch hazel oil is found to be an effective remedy that works wonders on your hair and makes it free from oil.
• Get hold of a bottle of witch hazel oil. Take 4 drops of witch hazel oil and mix it well with 2 tablespoons of water.
• Dab cotton ball in this mixture and then apply this cotton ball on your scalp.
• This will help in reducing the oiliness of the hair. Repeat it three to four times a week or every day for better results.
Tea has one of the most important ingredients known as the tannic acid that will help in making your hair dry.
• All you need is to boil tea leaves or tea powder in a glass of water.
• When it is in lukewarm state, apply this tea mixture on your scalp and hair. Leave it there for three to five minutes.
• Rinse it off with water and shampoo your hair to get relief from oily hair.
Alcohol is a very effective product that you can use on your hair to get instant and immediate solution to your oily hair problems. Vodka is preferred by most people as the ideal hair tonic to treat oily hair.
• Add one glass of Vodka with two glasses of water.
• Rinse your hair with this vodka mix and leave it there for a few minutes. Wash it off completely. It will make your hair go dry in few minutes.
• You can also use this mix as a spray on your hair to get rid of excess oil in minutes.
Honey is also found to be an effective home remedy to treat oily hair.
• Take two teaspoons of pure honey and to this add one egg yolk.
• Mix it well and allow it to dissolve for 30 minutes.
• Now apply this mixture on your hair properly and massage your hair for a few minutes.
• Leave this mixture on your hair and scalp for 20 minutes.
• Rinse it properly and then use a deep shampoo to wash your hair.
• Repeat this process twice a week to get rid of oily hair.
10. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a very good product for hair care. Lemon juice is a proven home remedy to treat oily hair.
• Take a lemon and extract the juice out of this lemon.
• Mix this lemon juice in a cup of water and to this mixture add three teaspoons of honey.
• Mix well and allow this mixture to dissolve completely. Apply this mixture on your hair and leave it there for three to four minutes.
• Wash it off with a shampoo. Repeat this thrice a week for best results.
11. Healthy Diet
Maintaining a healthy diet is very essential in getting rid of excess oil in your hair.
• It is very important for you to drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated at all times.
• Make sure that you avoid consuming a lot of oily or greasy foods.
• Add healthy fats like olive oil, nuts and fish in your diet.
• It is important to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables to keep your scalp healthy.
12. Henna And Olive Oil
• Add 3 teaspoons of henna powder in a bowl and mix it with one egg.
• To this mixture add 2 tablespoons of honey and a tablespoon of olive oil. Mix all ingredients well.
• Add warm water to make a smooth paste.
• Apply the paste on your oily hair from the root to the tip evenly.
• Cover your coated hair with a plastic bag and towel and leave it for two hours.
• Wash your hair thoroughly and then use a mild shampoo to clean your hair.
13. Diluted Beer
Beer is said to be an effective remedy for oily hair. It will help in removing the excess oil in your hair and will make it look beautiful.
• Make sure that you only use diluted beer on your hair. Mix a glass of beer with a glass of water.
• Apply it as a final rinse on your washed hair. Leave it to rest for three to five minutes.
• Rinse it off well with water.
• The acidic properties of the beer will help in removing excess oil in your hair.
14. Baking Soda
The oil-absorbing quality of baking soda makes it a great home remedy for oily hair. Also, the alkaline nature of baking soda helps balance the pH level of the scalp and will reduce foul smell.
- Mix one part baking soda in three parts water to make a paste. Apply it on damp hair.
- Leave it on for a few minutes, and then wash your hair with warm water. Use this treatment once or twice a week.
- Also, when you do not have time to shampoo your hair, you can use baking soda as a powerful dry shampoo. Put some baking soda in your hands and rub it all through your hair.
- Then brush your hair really well with a good quality brush. The baking soda will absorb all the grease.
15. Henna Powder
Henna is one of the best natural products to provide deep conditioning to hair without the harmful effects of chemicals. It is an age old hair nourishment product that increases the softness and luster of the strands and adds volume and bounce to limp hair.
• Mix six tablespoons of henna with two cups of water.
• Mix it thoroughly to make a smooth paste.
• Now apply this paste on your hair and leave it till the paste dries on your hair.
• Rinse your hair with lime water to get rid of oily hair.
Hope this article on home remedies for oily hair helps you to battle the issue! If you know any more effective tips for oily hair treatment, share with us in the comment section.
Featured Image Source