How to control or prevent hair splits during summer?
Problems of hair loss and split ends have increased more in the modern times. It can be related to the irregular lifestyle youngsters are forced to follow. This lifestyle includes the consumption of junk food, lack of sufficient sleep, and spending long hours in the sun and dust. Sun and water during the summer season can damage hair by making them look dull and dry, create split ends and make them brittle.
Ways to prevent hair splits in summer
- It is better to get a haircut just before summer. Hair cut will remove the previous split ends and give a smooth shape to the hair. A short haircut or a tied up hairstyle will prevent hair from the dangers of the weather.
- A good hair wash after spending hours in the sun will help in hydrating the scalp and keeping it cool.
- Hair should be protected from the ultraviolet rays of the sun by applying UV shields products like shampoos, hair sprays etc., containing soy and corn protein.
- The head must dampen before entering the pool or sea in order to dilute the absorption of chlorinated or salty water.
- Hair becomes fragile when they are wet, so brushing and combing should not be done on wet hair. A wide tooth comb will help in de-tangling the knotted hair.
- Long hair should be tied into a pony tail or made into buns in order to protect the scalp from getting directly exposed to the sun.
- One of the best ways to protect the head from the rays of the sun is to wear a hat, cap or turban that is in fashion. One can also use a scarf, a wide hat or a cowboy hat to keep the rays away from the head.
- Regular oil massage is also one of the main methods to control hair fall and split ends.
- An herbal remedy for split hair is to make a paste of fenugreek (Methi) seeds and black lentil. Mix some curd and apply it on the scalp. Keep it on for two hours before washing with mild shampoo.
- Care of split ends should be taken by applying a mixture of honey, olive oil and egg yolk on the scalp. Keep the scalp wrapped with a hot towel for 20 minutes and then wash it with a mild shampoo. The split ends will disappear.
Home remedy for split ends
- A mixture of mashed avocado, olive oil and egg white applied on the scalp at regular intervals is a great remedy for split ends and will make the hair strong, shiny and silky.
- Papaya pulp mixed with yogurt makes a wonderful mask to make the hair smooth and silky.
- A spray of beer after the shampoo is known to get rid of split ends. It can be simply rinsed off with plain water. The proteins and sugar in the beer will bind the hair and help in making them strong and in treating damaged follicles.
- Avocado – Mash an avocado and massage it in your damp hair coating the split ends. Rinse it off after 30 minutes. If so required mix some olive oil to it.
- Chamomile tea – Give your hair a rinse of chamomile tea to press split ends and frizzed hair. Place a few chamomile tea bags in boiling water and let it cool. Just after your shampoo, apply this solution and rinse your hair from split ends.
- Cocoa butter is a great choice to treat split ends. After washing the hair, apply this. Massage the affected hair with butter and dry them naturally. You can observe a change in hair and soon you will get rid of frizzy hair and split ends.
- Jojoba oil can be mixed with conditioner or shampoo while cleaning your hair. It gives soft and nourished hair. It would be great for removing split end.
- Fenugreek can be used for split ends. Make a paste using fenugreek seeds and curd. Apply this paste to the hair as pack and wash it after two hours to get smooth hair. This is the best home remedy for treating split ends.
Summer can wreak havoc on the hair and scalp, that causes dry hair, smelly hair, itchy scalp, split ends, dandruff, and breakage. You just follow these simple tips to make your hair healthy in the summer.
Daily hair wash is not recommended
You wash your hair only a couple of times a week for normal or dry hair and go for thrice a week for oily hair. It is recommended to use lighter products in order to avoid using heavy conditioners this season. Frequent washing strips and your scalp of its natural oils turn and stimulates additional oil production that makes you feel the need to wash it even more.
Cover your hair while going out
Cover up by using a scarf or hat to cover your head when you’re out in the sun. This provides extra UV protection and helps to protect your hair and skin. It also retains moisture. Cover your hair with a cap or scarf to protect them from pollution and over heat during summer.
Avoid heat styling products on your hair as they causes split ends
You should not use styling products as they blow dry and damaged hair as they are little possible. This is because already you are exposed to a significant amount of heat on a daily basis during summer, it will probably air dry quickly anyway.
Moisturize your hair with aloe vera juice
Aloe vera juice and five drops of coconut oil mixture to make a concoction of water. Keep them aside and use it on hand to spritz your hair whenever you need to moisturize it. You can also use Argan oil that is mixed with water instead of aloe vera gel.
Use proper condition to your hair in summer to protect your hair from heat
Always use diluted apple cider vinegar in water to rinse your hair as a quick and natural hair conditioner. Use some coconut oil before washing to smooth, de-frizz, and moisturize your locks. The oil is a pre-conditioner that helps to give your hair some shine, and if you have wavy hair, then it will create natural air dried curls.