Extended Triangle Pose or Utthita Trikonasana is a standing yoga pose that tones the legs, reduces stress, and increases stability. The word “Trikonasana” comes from the Sanskrit words “tri,” (meaning “three”), “kona”(meaning “angle”), and “asana” (meaning “pose”). It refers to the triangular shape created by your body in the full version of the pose. “Utthita” means “extended” in Sanskrit.
What You Should Know Before You Do The Asana
This asana must be performed on an empty stomach. You must have your meals at least four to six hours before you practice yoga. You must also make sure that your bowels are empty. Do not practice Triangle Pose if you have low blood pressure or are experiencing headaches or diarrhea. Always work within your own range of limits and abilities.
How To Do The Utthita Trikonasana : Step-by-Step Instructions
- Begin this pose with Tadasana (Mountain Pose). Then exhale and spread your legs to place them at a distance of around 4 feet from each other.
- Now stretch your arms out sideways, while ensuring that they are corresponding to the floor. The palms should face downwards.
- Turn the right foot outwards at an angle of 90° degrees, while turning your left foot inwards towards the right.
- Both heels should be in alignment.
- Now tighten your thigh muscles turning the right thigh outwards. The centers of your right knee and right ankle should be corresponding with each other.
- Start bending your body from your hip towards the right and over your right leg. To maintain your balance while doing this, dig your left heel into the floor. This will help to strengthen your left leg.
- Twist your body to the left and make sure that both sides remain long.
- Push your left hip slightly in a forward direction and ensure that you lengthen your tailbone towards your heel.
- Keep your right hand on your ankle or shin or on the floor without changing the yoga pose in any way. Stretch your left arm up towards.
- Keep your head in a straight or turn it slightly towards the left.
- Hold this position for either 30 seconds or 1 minute.
Keep the following information in mind when practicing this pose:
- It’s more important to keep your front leg straight and your torso aligned with your thigh than to rest your hand on the floor. Only lower your hand as far down as your flexibility permits, even if that means resting it on your thigh.
- Do not rest your lower hand directly on your knee. This creates too much pressure on the knee joint.
Try to keep both sides of your waist long, if you find you are crunching the ribs towards the hips you can bring your hand higher up your leg or into a block. Press firmly through the feet to help your upper body feel lighter – this is the press-rebound effect. If you are working on your balance you can gaze at your foot instead of looking up.
Modifications & Variations
If you’d like to deepen or lighten the pose, try these simple changes to find a variation that works best for you:
- If you feel unsteady in the pose, place your back heel against a wall.
- Brace your back torso against a wall to help improve stability.
- For extra stability, rest your bottom hand on a block.
- More flexible students can align the front heel with the arch of the back foot.
- For a variation that deepens the side stretch, extend your top arm over your top ear, stretching your arm so it comes parallel to the floor.
Benefits Of The Utthita Trikonasana
- This pose stimulates the abdominal organs.
- It can help relieve backache, even in pregnancy.
- It improves digestion.
- It opens the shoulders and the chest.
- It stretches the hips, groin and hamstrings.
- It helps to relieve stress.
- The legs are stretched from the ankle to the thigh.
- The spine is stretched as well in this yoga exercise.
- Apart from these specific benefits, it can also help prevent infertility, flat feet and osteoporosis.
Standing poses, seated forward bends, or twists
Triangle Pose can be a building block for balance and grace in all areas of your life. Practicing this pose on a regular basis will bring poise, strength, and equanimity to your everyday routine!