Soft and shiny hair takes a bit of effort. Proper hair care is the only way for both men and women to get shiny, silky and smooth hair. Most of us use numerous branded conditioners, shampoos and serums to add a beautiful shine to our hair. But over time, these products can do more harm than good. Sometimes it’s fun to pamper yourself with a hair treatments at home instead of going out and buying something at the store. The best part about using natural ingredients is that almost all of them are readily available, and it is likely that they’re already in your kitchen.
Below, we have put together the many different ways in which you can get shiny hair without having to step out of your house.
1. Mayonnaise Hair Mask
Mayonnaise consists of amino acids, powerful antioxidants and proteins that help stimulate healthy hair growth. You can use this hair pack regularly once a week by following some simple and easy steps:
- Prep your hair using warm water to get it nice and damp, but not soaking wet.
- Scoop some mayonnaise out of the jar and start rubbing it through your hair like you would a conditioner.
- Wrap your head of hair with a plastic wrap, a plastic bag, or shower cap to trap the heat inside. Heat opens the pores and allows the treatment to penetrate strands further and thus work better. Let the treatment sit on the hair for at least 20 minutes.
- Wash the mayonnaise out. This is most easily done in the shower using a diluted shampoo. You may need to shampoo a few times before you are able to get all of the mayonnaise out. Be sure to use the shampoo gently, not tangling the hair.
2. Banana Hair Pack
If you are suffering from dry, frizzy and split ends then this conditioner works best for your hair. Bananas have many benefits; they contain fruit acids such as glucose that help keep your hair nourished by soothing the itchy, flaky scalp and dryness of the hair. Learn how to get shiny hair by making the banana hair pack following the below mentioned steps:
- Mashed one ripe banana in a bowl, add 2 tsp of unsalted butter and 3 tbsp of almond oil.
- Smash using your hand to make a semi-smooth paste.
- Now, take some portion of this mixture in your palms and gently rub all over your hair.
- Apply the rest of the mixture and allow it to sit for 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair using lukewarm water followed by a mild shampoo.
Yogurt works as a deep conditioner and hence it helps make your hair soft, smooth and shiny. Plus, it has natural antibacterial and antifungal properties due to its high lactic acid content that helps to keep your scalp clean and free from infections.
- Brush out your hair well with a wide-tooth comb.
- Spread some plain yogurt all over your hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it out with lukewarm water and then shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- Use this hair treatment once a week.
4. Potato Juice
A lesser-known remedy, potato juice helps to fight hair loss and thicken your strands. So, if you want to see your hair grow naturally, use some potato juice.
- Use potato juice on your scalp and leave it for 15 minutes, before you wash it off.
- Vitamin B in potatoes makes your hair longer and stronger.
5. Henna Pack
A well-known natural conditioner for hair, it has also been nicknamed as ‘hair alchemist’ for its ability to transform grey and dull hair into shiny ones. It also works on the roots of your existing hair to promote hair growth.
- To use a henna hair pack, combine pure henna powder with water.
- Add enough water to get a thick pasty consistency.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and let it sit for 45 minutes to an hour and then wash it off.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a fabulous hair conditioner that can make your hair soft, shiny and moisturized. It also helps remove built-up residue that makes your hair look dull and lifeless. Plus, it can help treat dandruff, itchy scalp and frizzy hair.
- Mix together equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water. After shampooing, pour the mixture into your hair and massage it onto your scalp. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly with cold water.
- Alternatively, mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and the juice of one lemon in one cup of water. Use this mixture as a final hair rinse after shampooing.
7. Coconut oil
One of the simplest and easiest home remedies for shiny hair is the use of coconut oil. If you’re wondering how to get shiny hair naturally, just start using coconut oil. By applying coconut oil on a regular basis, you can retain the moisture and shine of your dull hair.Some of the coconut oil home remedies to get shiny and smooth hair are given below:
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Add some curry leaves to it. Heat it until it gets warm. Leave it for some time so that it cools down. Gently massage the oil on your hair and scalp.Cover your head with a warm towel or a shower cap and leave it for at least 30 minutes. Then wash off with a normal shampoo.
- Applying lukewarm coconut oil from root to tips also makes your hair healthy, silky and smooth. Massage it for a couple of minutes and then cover your hair for 30 minutes with a towel or a shower cap.After that, wash your hair with using a mild shampoo and conditioner.
8. Egg Hair Mask
Eggs are exceptionally good for your hair.It’s a good source of vitamin A, D, B-6, B-12, minerals, fat and protein that promotes healthy, strong and shiny hair. Eggs can instantly boost volume and shine to your hair. This restorative protein mask, intensely conditions damaged hair, add moisture to dull hair, reconstruct and restores protein back to the hair.
- Mix 2 egg yolks with a tbsp of unsalted butter, a tsp of olive oil and a tsp of thick milk.
- Coat your hair with this mixture using a hair brush and cover your scalp with a shower cap.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
9. Indian gooseberry
Indian gooseberry (amla) is a storehouse of vitamin C and antioxidants. It not only promotes hair growth, but also helps to fight scalp pigmentation.
- Mix equal portions of gooseberry powder and lime juice.
- Apply this mix on the scalp.
- Allow it to dry, before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
- Also, regular application of gooseberry oil will make the hair black and strong.
10. Aloe Vera and Honey
Aloe vera is rich in vitamins A, B and E, selenium and many other nutrients. It is good for your hair as it conditions your scalp and gets rid of dandruff.
- You can apply aloe vera gel on your scalp and leave it overnight.
- Wash it off next morning for a clean scalp.
- You can also take some aloe vera gel and mix it with honey, in equal parts.
- Apply it on your scalp. Leave it undisturbed for 30 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.