Moong Ddal Chilla is a great healthy breakfast food and even prefect as an accompaniment to some vegetable dishes like Cauliflower, Potato and Tomato curry. Traditionally a chella is made with Besan (Gram flour or chick pea flour), but there are several variations can be made, Moong dal cheela is one of them. Making cheela with moong dal is a delicious way to include protein in your diet. Moong dal is considered one of the healthiest foods in the world and Indian cuisine uses it extensively.
Moong Dal Chilla recipe
Prep Time: 50 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Cuisine : Rajasthani
- 250 gms split green skinless mung dal (dhuli mung dal)
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying chillas
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely
- ¼th cup crumbled or grated fresh cottage cheese optional
- 2 tbsp green chutney
- Salt to taste
How to make the recipe:
- Wash the moong dal under running water, till water comes out clean. Then cover it with water and leave it to soak for 4-5 hrs.
- Discard the water, grind them with very little water until smooth and soft mixture is formed. Add more water if required to get the consistency of crepe batter. Allow the mixture to rest for 15-20 mins.
- Add green chili, ginger, onion, coriander leaves if using, cumin powder, turmeric and salt. Combine all nicely.
- Heat a non stick pan. Add oil or ghee and then swirl to coat all sides of the pan. Once it’s warm pour a scoop of batter towards the center and then spreading towards the exterior giving a round or oval shape. You could use a spatula or a small metal bowl to give a thin shape to your chillas. It’s upto you to make your chillas thick or thin. If you make thick it wouldn’t be crisp so make accordingly.
- Drizzle some oil towards the edges and fry them until crisp and golden brown from both sides.
- Also spread some crumbled or grated cottage cheese. Then flip the dosa over other side giving a semi circle or moon shape. It’s optional you could just make the crepes or stuff with paneer it’s optional.
- Serve your moong dal chillas warm with green chutney and tomato sauce.