Nankhatai is a popular sweet cookie cum snack recipe which is equally liked by kids as well as elders. Basically it is popular as a tea time cookie and is easily available in most bakery shops in india.
Nankhatai can be called as Indian shortbread cookies or biscuits. They are made with all purpose flour, sugar and ghee or butter. There are many variations of nankhatai. In this recipe some besan or gram flour is added along with sooji/rava or semolina.
Nan Khatai Recipe
Prep Time : 25 minutes
Cook time : 25 minutes
Serve : 20
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida) or 125 grams maida
- ¼ cup gram flour (besan) or 40 grams gram flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tsp or 20 grams sooji
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- ½ cup ghee or butter at room temperature
- 100 to 110 grams sugar or ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoon milk
- few almonds
How to prepare recipe
- To powder the sugar, grind it in a small jar of a mixer grinder or a blender. Sieve 1 cup maida in a bowl, add 2 tablespoons semolina, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- Mix them with a spoon.
- Take 1/2 cup butter or ghee and powdered sugar in another bowl.
- Beat them using a wire whisk or hand mixer until smooth and soft. Add 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder and beat again.
- Add sieved dry ingredients and mixture prepared above.
- Mix well and make a dough using hand.
- Grease a baking tray with some ghee or oil.
- Now, pinch small to medium size dough ball from the mixture and roll it a round shape. Flatten the dough ball into a cookie shape and place them on the tray.
- Repeat the process until the entire mixture is utilized. Keep them aside for 10 to 12 minutes. Preheat the oven at 200 degree centigrade.
- Now keep the tray inside the oven and set the oven to 180 degree centigrade for 15 minutes first. Check and continue baking until the cookies are cooked through and turn golden brown in color.
- Take out the tray form oven and let the cookies cool down completely. Nan khatai is now ready.
- Serve these delicious and mouth-watering nankhatai to your dear ones with steaming hot tea and coffee.
How to Make Nan Khatai without Oven
- Take an aluminum pressure cooker or a heavy based deep pan.
- Fill the cooker with salt or sand till the 2-inches height.
- Put a stand over it.
- Heat the cooker over medium flame for 5-minutes.
- Put a nan-khatai plate over it in the cooker and close the lid (don’t forget to remove the gasket and whistle from the cooker lid). If you are using a pan, use the plate or any lid to cover it.
- Cook it for 15-minutes over low flame. Check the nan-khatai after 15 minutes and cook for few more minutes if required.