No matter which part of the world you’re from, I’m sure (hoping) you would have had Chinese (inspired) cuisine at least once in your life. And if you have had Chinese Food, chances are – you keep going back for more and more. The spicy food is so addicting that in some countries like India, we have a whole cuisine called “Indo-Chinese” cuisine dedicated to Chinese inspired foods.
Schezwan fried rice is one of the most loved dish of Indo-Chinese cuisine. Schezwan fried rice gets its name from the use of schezwan sauce, which is used to flavor the fried rice. Schezwan sauce in turn is made using schezwan peppers authentically.
Schezwan Fried Rice recipe
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Ingredients (250 ml cup used)
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp. soya sauce
- ½ to ¾ tbsp vinegar
- ½ tbsp sugar
- salt as needed
- oil as needed
- 8 to 10 schezwan pepper corn.
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- ¾ tbsp red chili powder or red chili paste
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- ¾ cup chopped beans
- ¾ cup chopped capsicum
- ¼ cup spring onions
- 1.5 cups uncooked rice
How to prepare the recipe
- Cool cooked rice completely. Make the red chili paste ready either by soaking the red chilies and blending them or by use red chili powder to make a fine paste with water.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan or a wok, add the garlic and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add onions and fry until golden. Pour vinegar, soya sauce, salt, sugar, red chili paste. Add pepper corns. Cook until the sauce thickens. Add little water and cook further to bring out the flavors. When the sauce thickens set aside.
- Fry veggies until cooked, add sauce, rice and spring onions.
- Mix and Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately garnished with spring onion greens.