A popular dessert made during eid ul-fitr. Sheer means sweetened milk and Khorma means dried dates. This is a vermicelli pudding made with dry fruits, dates, milk, sugar and vermicelli. Even saffron is added to this exotic, rich dessert to make it more fragrant. This Exotic rich dessert prepared using milk, dates,nuts and vermicelli has its roots from the Mughal era and is mostly prepared during the fasting days of RAMADAN.
Sheer khurma recipe
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 6 cups milk
- 100 gms/1 cup broken vermicelli/seviyan
- 1 cup/ 2 tbsp sugar
- 8-9 sliced almonds
- 8-9 sliced cashewnuts
- 8-9 sliced pistachios
- 2 tsp raisins
- 5-6 deseeded chopped dates/khajoor
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- ghee as needed (2 to 4 tbsp)
- ⅛ tsp elaichi / cardamom powder
- 1 tsp rose water (optional)
- few saffron strands optional
How to prepare the recipe
- Roast the seviyan till golden and keep aside. if you want then you can roast the seviyan in ghee also.
- In the same pan, heat ghee and add chopped dry fruits and saute for 3-4 minutes stirring often.
- Heat milk in a saucepan and let it come to a boil. lower the flame and simmer for 8-10 minutes till the milk slightly thickens.
- Add the roasted seviyan and sugar to the milk and simmer till the seviyan are cooked and have become soft for about 8-10 minutes on a low flame.
- The milk will also thicken and reduce in volume.
- Add the whole dry fruit mixture and cardamom powder.
- Switch off the fire and stir. add more sugar if required.
- Serve the sheer khurma hot, warm or chilled.
- You can also garnish sheer khurma with saffron strands or rose petals or dry fruits or powdered cardamom.