Nagavara Ramarao Narayana Murthy, commonly referred to as Narayana Murthy, is an Indian IT industrialist and the co-founder of Infosys, a multinational corporation providing business consulting, technology, engineering, and outsourcing services. Murthy studied electrical engineering at the National Institute of Engineering, University of Mysore, and MTech at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
Real Name : Nagavara Ramarao Narayana Murthy
Nickname: Narayana Murthy, NRN
Profession: Chairman Emeritus Infosys
Date of Birth : 20th August, 1946
Age (as in 2017) : 70 Years
Birth Place : Mysore, Kingdom of Mysore (now, Karnataka), India
Zodiac sign/Sun sign : Leo
Nationality : Indian
Hometown : Mysore, India
School: Not Known
College: University of Mysore
Educational Qualifications: M.Tech
Religion : Hindu
Father– N. Rama Rao
Mother- Padavathamma Murthy
- Padma Vibhushan (2008)
- Legion of Honour (2008)
- Padma Shri (2000)
Girls, Affairs and More
Marital Status : Married
Affairs/Girlfriends: Not Known
Wife : Sudha Murthy
Children: Rohan Murthy, Akshata Murthy
- He took up the position of a chief systems programmer at the IIM, Ahmedabad. There he worked on installing a time-sharing computer system—India’s first, making IIM the third business school in the world to install a time-sharing system after Harvard and Stanford.
- The work at the IIM was hectic but extremely fulfilling. He used to work 20 hours a day and learned a lot. Even today Murthy feels that joining the IIM was the best decision he had ever made in his professional life.
- He worked overseas in the 1970s, and the years he spent in Paris had a deep influence on him. Initially a staunch leftist who supported Communism, he eventually changed his views and concluded that compassionate capitalism and the large-scale creation of jobs was the only practical method of eradicating poverty.
- He learned a lot from the western countries, but ultimately wanted to settle in India and start a company in his homeland. He started a company called Softronics which failed after just a year and a half. So he joined Patni Computer Systems in Pune.
- Eventually he decided to become an entrepreneur again and teamed up with six other software professionals to found another company, “Infosys Consultants Pvt Ltd.” (now known as Infosys Ltd.) with a capital of Rs. 10,000 in Pune in 1981. The company’s headquarters was shifted from Pune to Bangalore in 1983.
- Murthy became the CEO of Infosys and served in this position from 1981. In 2002, co-founder Nandan Nilekani succeeded him as the chairman.
- He became the Chairman of the Board in 2002 and the Chief Mentor in 2006. He retired from the company in August 2011, taking the title Chairman Emeritus.
- He has served as a director on the boards of DBS Bank, Unilever, and ICICI. He is a philanthropic and serves on the advisory boards and councils of several institutions like Cornell University, Ford Foundation, the UN Foundation and the Indo-British Partnership.
- The performance of Infosys suffered in his absence and thus he returned to the company as Executive Chairman and Additional Director in June 2013. He stepped down as the Executive Chairman in June 2014.
Some lesser known facts about Narayana Murthy
- He started an IT software consulting firm called Softronics in Pune. He described it as one of his earliest learning experiences. The company failed and he left it to join Patni Computer Systems, Pune.
- Narayana Murthy is married to Sudha Murthy (neé Kulkarni), a fellow Electrical Engineer who had topped her class in both B Tech and M E and received gold medals from the state of Karnataka and Indian Institute of Engineers.
- Murthy has been listed among the 12 greatest entrepreneurs of our time by Fortune magazine.
- He has been described as Father of Indian IT sector by Time magazine due to his contribution to outsourcing in India.