What Is The Cause Of Dandruff?
It is caused when a fungus called Malassezia grows on your scalp. This results in shedding of the scalp skin. There are two types of dandruff – one occurs due to the dryness of the scalp, while the other occurs due to the excessive production of oil on the scalp. Some of the known causes of dandruff are:
1. Lack Of Proper Hair Care
Proper hair care should be an essential part of your routine if you wish to stay away from dandruff. Irregular and improper hair brushing can gradually lead to dandruff. It is a common cause that causes dandruff and other hair problems.
2. Yeast Allergy
If you are allergic to yeast, you can easily get dandruff on your head. Yeast is a species of spore or fungi that lives in our atmosphere. It is different from the yeast that we use for cooking.
3. Dry Skin:
People who have a dry skin often get dandruff. They usually experience the problem during the winter days when their skin tends to get drier.
4. Certain Diseases Can Result In Dandruff
Certain health conditions like poor immunity, heart diseases, strokes, seborrhoeic dermatitis and Parkinson’s diseases can often result in dandruff formation.
5. Lack Of Shampooing
Lack of enough shampooing can lead to dandruff. Shampooing removes the dead skin cells and excess oil accumulations from your scalp.
Natural Remedies For Dandruff
1. Pepper And Yogurt:
- Yogurt is a soothing agent that can make the skin on your scalp become smooth and less scaly.
- Pepper acts as an anti-fungal agent that inhibits the growth of dandruff-causing microbes.
- For making this remedy you need to mix 2 teaspoons of pepper powder and a cup of curd. Apply this mixture on your scalp and leave it for an hour.
- Once you rinse it off, you can wash your hair with your usual shampoo.
2. Olive Oil:
Olive oil is an excellent remedy that can cure all sorts of dandruff problem.
- Olive oil acts as a moisturiser that makes the skin on your scalp really moist. This reduces the formation of it.
- Before applying olive oil, you should heat it gently. Warm olive oil gives more effect.
- Apply the oil on your scalp and gently massage it. Leave it overnight. This would allow the skin to absorb the oil. In the morning wash your scalp with a gentle shampoo.
- Olive oil is a strong medicine and it would bring results even if you leave it for just 15 minutes before rinsing.
3. Oil And Lemon Juice:
Lemon juice and oil is a great combination that can help you in getting rid of dandruff.
- Although lemon juice has certain bleaching properties, it doesn’t cause any discoloration of your hair. Lemon works as an anti-fungal agent that fights the microbes that lead to dandruff formation.
- Make a mixture of lemon juice and coconut oil, where the proportion of lemon juice is 1/6th of the total mixture. Apply this mixture on your scalp and let it remain for 20 to 30 minutes. Then wash and rinse your hair using a gentle shampoo.
- Try this remedy on a regular basis for getting the desired effect.
- Vinegar is a popular remedy for treating dandruff. However, you should not use chemically synthesized vinegar for this treatment. Pick naturally prepared vinegar like balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Vinegar contains active potassium enzymes that remove all the itchy sensation from your scalp. Natural vinegar is a good treatment for dandruff that causes lot of itching.
- Massaging your scalp with apple cider vinegar promotes proper blood circulation. This makes your hair strong and healthier.
Apple cider vinegar removes all the dead skin cells from your scalp. This prevents the formation of dandruff.
- Instead of directly applying vinegar to your scalp you can also rinse your hair with a mixture of water and vinegar. For a mug of water you can use a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. You would get a lingering smell of vinegar but it will wean off as your hair gets dry.
5. Baking Soda:
- Baking soda has certain cleansing properties that help in cleaning up all the dandruff from your scalp.
- Mix your shampoo with a teaspoon of baking soda and make a good mixture of it. Apply this on your scalp and then rinse your hair nicely. You would be amazed to see all the traces of dandruff getting easily removed.
6. Aloe Vera:
Aloe Vera is quite effective in removing dandruff and restoring the skin on your scalp.
- Aloe Vera restores the broken skin on your scalp and makes it healthy and smooth. This prevents the formation of dandruff.
- Aloe Vera also acts as an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent that helps in cleansing out all the dandruff.
- Apply pure Aloe Vera gel on your scalp and let it stay for 15 minutes before rinsing with a gentle shampoo.
- Aloe Vera treatment is a great remedy for your hair and scalp and hence you can use it daily.
Neem is an amazing natural remedy that can help you in fighting dandruff as well as hair fall.
- Neem acts as an antibiotic, antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal agent. Its regular use can assist in treating several problems like dandruff, hair fall, itching, lice and all sorts of scalp allergies.
- Here is how you should make use of Neem. Boil Neem leaves in water for 30 minutes and then make a paste of it. Apply this paste on your scalp and let it remain for 30 minutes. Rinse your hair with water.
Apples are good for health but they are also a great remedy for dandruff.
- Apple contains phenolase enzyme which removes the accumulation of dead skin cells from your scalp. Dead skin is responsible for clogging the roots of your hair and causing hair fall and dandruff formation.
- Make a juice of an apple and mix it with water. Apply this mixture on your scalp and let it stay for around 10 minutes. Following this clean your scalp using a gentle shampoo.
Garlic is yet another amazing remedy that can help you in getting rid of dandruff.
- Garlic contains lot of antibiotic agents that destroy the bacteria responsible for the formation of dandruff.
- Make a good paste of garlic and apply it gently to your scalp. Let it stay for 30 minutes before washing your hair with a gentle aromatic shampoo.
10. Coconut oil:
- Coconut oil is beneficial when it comes to any problems concerning your hair and scalp.
- You need to first wash your hair, without conditioning it and later let it partially dry.
- Then apply some coconut oil onto your scalp; try avoiding it from getting into the rest of your hair.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash the coconut oil out. Shampooing just once should do more than good.
11. Fenugreek Seeds:
- Fenugreek seeds are an excellent remedy that can get rid of dandruff for good. However, you should have some patience and follow the treatment for around a month.
- Leave the seeds of fenugreek in water for around 12 hours. This would make the seeds softer and easy to crush. Make a paste of these seeds and apply onto your scalp. Let it remain for 30 minutes before washing your hair with a nice shampoo.
The Do’s And Don’ts When Trying To Get Rid Of Dandruff
1. Do wash your hair regularly, but not obsessively.
You’re recommended to wash daily with a medicated shampoo or soap, until the flakes subside. And later, you may continue washing with an anti-dandruff shampoo 2-3 times per week. If you shampoo your hair excessively, it will only dry your scalp out and make the flakes worse.
2. Do allow your shampoo do its work.
If you’re washing your hair with shampoo, make sure to give it some time to do its stuff. Let it sit on for at least 5 minutes before rinsing. This will allow the ingredients to absorb into the scalp and kill the fungi that have been causing dandruff.
3. Don’t scratch.
I know it can be very tempting for your fingers when your scalp feels itchy, but avoid scratching you scalp. You may wound your scalp with your fingernails. Discontinue using the medicated shampoo if your scalp is wounded. Switch to a mild baby shampoo until the scratches are healed.
4. Don’t get stressed.
Stress can also contribute to this condition. Hence, avoid any stressful situations. You may also try yoga and any other similar healthy ways to relieve your stress.
Those are few good remedies that will help clear your dandruff away. They are all mild and safe to try. We hope we have answered your question on how to get rid of dandruff. If there are any other natural remedies, home remedies or best natural dandruff shampoos that you know, do share them.