Rajinikanth is one of the most influential and bankable movie stars in Indian cinema. Rajinikanth’s mass popularity and appeal is largely drawn from his mannerisms and stylized delivery of dialogue. He received India’s third highest honour, the Padma Bhushan, for his contribution to Indian cinema. Other than acting, Rajinikanth worked as a screenwriter, film producer and also a playback singer.
Profile of Rajinikanth
Real Name : Shivaji Rao Gaikwad
Nickname : Superstar, Thaliwa
Profession : Actor, Producer, Screenwriter
Date of Birth : 12 December 1950
Age (as in 2017) : 66 Years
Birth Place : Bangalore, Mysore state, India
Zodiac Sign: Saggitarius
Nationality : Indian
Hometown : Chennai
School : Government Model Primary School, Bangalore
College : M.G.R Film and Television Institute of Tamil Naidu
Religion : Hindu
Father : Ramoji Rao Gaikwad (a Police constable)
Mother : Jijabai
Brothers : Sathyanarayana Rao Gaikwad, Nageshwara Rao Gaikwad
Sister : NA
Debut Movie : Aboorva Ragangal (Tamil) in 1975
Rajinikanth’s Physical Stats & More
Height : 5′ 9″
Weight : 70 Kgs
Eye Color : Black
Hair Color : Black
Favourite Things of Rajinikanth
Favourite Actor : Kamal Haasan
Favourite Actress : Rekha
Favourite Sports : Cricket
Marital Status : Married
Affairs/Girlfriends : Silk Smitha, Latha
Wife/Spouse : Latha Rajinikanth
Marriage Date : February 26,1981
Children : 2 daughters
Son : N/A
Daughter : Soundarya Rajinikanth & Aishwarya R. Dhanush (Actor Dhanush’s wife)
Price per Movie : 50-60 Crores
Net Worth : $50 million
Some Interesting Facts about Rajinikanth
- Rajinikanth was born to Jijabai and Ramoji Rao Gaikwad, a Maharashtrian couple living in Bangalore, and was named Shivaji Rao Gaikwad.
- He started off his acting career with mythological Kannada plays. His most prominent role was that of Duryodhana.
- His friend Raj Bahadur, with whom he is still close, encouraged him to pursue his dreams and become an actor. Bahadur asked him to enrol in the Madras Film Institute.
- Rajinikanth was noticed in a Kannada play at the Film Institute by director K Balachander. ‘Learn Tamil,’ the director told Rajini before leaving.
- After playing several negative roles and characters with grey shades, his first positive role was in S P Muthuraman’s Bhuvana Oru Kelvikkuri.
- Rajinikanth’s first big commercial success was Billa, a remake of the 1978 Amitabh Bachchan-starrer, Don.
- Moondru Moogam had Rajini playing a triple role for the first time. It earned him a Best Actor award from the Tamil Nadu government.
- T Rama Rao’s Andha Kanoon was Rajinikanth’s first Bollywood film.
- In 1988, Rajinikanth made an appearance in the English action adventure Bloodstone.
- Rajinikanth’s film Raaja Chinna Roja was the first Tamil film that included animation in the movie.
- Thalapathi was also the superstar’s only film that was released by the Censor Board with a U/A certificate.
- The first movie that Rajinikanth wrote the screenplay for was Valli. He did a guest role in the film as well.
- Baasha, which released in 1995, established the actor as a superstar and broke several box-office records.
- Besides starring in Tamil, Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada and Telugu films, Rajinikanth also starred in a Bengali film, Bhagya Debata.
- Enthiran is the only Tamil film that made it into IMDb’s Top 50 films from around the world list in 2010.
- Rajinikanth usually goes to the Himalayas after the release of his films. Also to Bangalore however, is his favourite spot to hang out with his old buddies.
- Enthiran has been included as a case study in an IIM-A postgraduate elective course, Contemporary Film Industry: A Business Perspective.
Meena is the only actress who has acted with him as a child artist and then as his heroine.
The superstar’s blockbuster movie Enthiran was originally supposed to be done by Kamal Haasan.
- A few of Rajini’s fans started a political party called Desiya Dravadar Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam in 2008 to pressure him to enter politics. But he refused, saying that nobody can force him to enter politics or stop him from doing so.