Saina Nehwal is an Indian Badminton player who is among the world’s top players. Nehwal, the former world no. 1, has maintained her world ranking in the top ten since 2009. She has won over twenty international titles, which include ten Superseries titles. Although she reached to the world no. 2 ranking in 2009, it was only in 2015 that she was able to attain the world no. 1 ranking. And thereby becoming the only female player from India & overall the second Indian player – after Prakash Padukone – to achieve this feat. She has represented India three times in the Olympics, winning bronze medal in her second appearance.
Real Name : Saina Nehwal
Nickname : Steffi Saina
Profession : Indian Badminton player
Date of Birth : 17 March 1990
Age (as in 2017) : 27 Years
Birth Place : Hisar, Haryana
Zodiac sign : Pisces
Nationality : Indian
Hometown : Hisar, Haryana
School : Campus School, CCS HAU, Hisar
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Public School, Hyderabad
National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD) School Rajendranagar, Hyderabad
St. Ann’s College for Women, Hyderabad
Education Qualifications : 12th
Religion : Hindu
Hobbies : Travelling
Father- Harvir Singh Nehwal
Mother- Usha Nehwal
Sister- Abu Chandranshu Nehwal
Physical Stats & More
Height : 5′ 5″
Weight : 58 Kg
Body measurement: 34-26-34
Eye Colour : Brown
Hair Colour : Black
India Asian Satellite (2005)
Coach/Mentor: Pullela Gopichand, Nani Prasad Rao, S. M. Arif and Vimal Kumar
Records (main ones)
• 1st Indian women to be ranked #1 in the Badminton World Federation in the Women’s Singles.
• Won the under-10 state level badminton championship.
• Won the World Super Series thrice.
• Youngest Asian player to win a 4-star tournament (Philippines Open).
• First player ever to win the Asian Satellite Badminton tournament twice.
Highest ranking: 1 (2 April 2015)
Current ranking: 9 (2 February 2017)
Boys, Affairs and More
Marital Status : Unmarried
Affairs/Boyfriend: Not known
Husband : N/A
Net Worth: 17 crores INR
Annual Income: 2 crores INR
Some lesser known facts about Saina Nehwal
- Saina belongs to Haryana but her family shifted to Hyderabad when she was 5 years old.
- Her grandmother was not happy at her birth as she wanted a boy.
- Badminton is in her genes as both her parents were state level badminton champions for Haryana.
- On advice of badminton coach Nani Prasad Rao, she started playing badminton at the age of 8. For her training, her father used to take her 50km away to a badminton academy on a daily basis.
- In 2012, she won the bronze medal at the London Olympics.
- She was honoured with the prestigious Arjuna Award in 2009, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in 2010, and the Padma Shri Award in 2010.
- Her mother often call her Steffi Saina as she has been a huge fan of tennis star Steffi Graff.
- She is also a huge fan of Sachin Tendulkar and Roger Federer.
- She did her badminton training from the Gopichand Badminton Academy.
- She was a brown belt in Karate.
- Due to her busy schedule, she doesn’t get any thime to watch a film, TV or even social media.
- In October 2016, she was appointed as a member of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Athletes’ Commission.
Updated on: 15 April 2017