Viswanathan Anand is a five time winner of the World Chess Championship. Anand became India’s first grandmaster in 1988. He held the FIDE World Chess Championship from 2000 to 2002. He became the undisputed World Champion in 2007 and defended his title against Vladimir Kramnik in 2008. He then defended his title in the World Chess Championship 2010 against Veselin Topalov and in the World Chess Championship 2012 against Boris Gelfand. In the World Chess Championship 2013 he lost to challenger Magnus Carlsen and he lost again to Carlsen in the World Chess Championship 2014.
Real Name : Anand
Nickname : Viswanathan Anand, Vishy
Profession : Indian Chess Player
Date of Birth : 11 December 1969
Age (as in 2017) : 47 Years
Birth Place : Mayiladuthurai, Tamil Nadu, India
Zodiac sign : Sagittarius
Nationality : Indian
Hometown : Mayiladuthurai, Tamil Nadu, India
School : Don Bosco Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Egmore, Chennai
College : Bachelor of Commerce from Loyola College, Chennai
Religion : Hindu
Hobbies : Reading
Father- Krishnamurthy Viswanathan
Physical Stats & More
Height : 5’ 6”
Weight : 56 kg
– Chest: 36 Inches
– Waist: 28 Inches
– Biceps: 12 Inches
Eye Color : Dark Brown
Hair Color : Black
Awards & Achievements
- Anand is considered one of the best contemporary chess players in the world, especially renowned for his versatility. He is a five time winner of the World Chess Championship and was the undisputed World No.1 from 2007 to 2013.
- He is the proud recipient of several prestigious awards. He won the first ever Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award—India’s highest sporting honour—in 1991-92.
- In 2007 he was presented with the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second highest civilian award for his achievements in chess. He was the first ever sportsperson in India to receive this award.
Girls, Affairs and More
Marital Status :Married
Affairs/Girlfriends : Not Known
Wife : Anand married Aruna Anand in 1996 and has a son, Akhil, born on 9 April 2011.
Net Worth: $3 million
Some Lesser Known Facts About Viswanathan Anand
- His chess interest developed at the age of 6, mainly because of his mother and a family friend Deepa Ramakrishnan.
- Anand is also known as known as “Vishy” and “Tiger of Madras” because of his sheer domination in chess.
- At the age of 14, he tasted his 1st success in no time at the National level by winning the National Sub-Junior Chess Championship in 1983.
- In 1987, he won the World Junior Chess Championship and was the first Indian to do it.
- Anand attributes the late Bobby Fischer as the best chess player of all time.
- Anand has been making waves in the world of Chess since the mid-1980, he finally earned the No.1 ranking in the FIDE Elo rating in April 2007.
- Chess Oscar is an international award rewarded to the best chess player every year. He has won this award 6 times, in 1997, 1998, 2003, and 2004, 2007 & 2008.
- Anand wrote a book called ‘My Best Games of Chess’, to share his journey of chess. In 1998, he got the British Chess Federation ‘Book of the Year’ award for this book.
- Anand has endorsed brands such as NIIT and has a net wealth of around $ 3 million.
- Vishwanathan Anand is now a minor planet in the universe. He is the only Indian who has a planet named after him. The planet was discovered in 1988 and remained unnamed since then.
Updated On: 16 April 2017